I took these pictures last year on my 20th birthday. Since I will be turning 21 next Tuesday on August 2nd, I decided to write this post listing out 20 of the many lessons that I learned while being 20 years old…
- Just because they smile in your face does not mean that they are your friend. Just because you give them advice does not mean that they are your friend. Just because you have known them for years does not mean that they are your friend. Some people are only around for the jewels of knowledge that you are able to deliver to them. Once their treasure chest is full, they will leave your life as if they never knew you. Don’t take it personally. Keep moving forward.
- Do not tell anyone your dreams, goals, or aspirations. Keep them to yourself. Thank me later.
- Be yourself. Do not try to adjust to each “friend” group and do what you have to do to make sure that you fit in with them. Do not worry about acceptance. Those who understand you and deserve to be in your life will gravitate towards you.
- If you have given everything possible to him and then some and he still treats you as if you are beneath him; full of ego and talking to you any kind of way, knowing that he is average and not even worthy of you, let him go.
- As soon as you think that you have come to a point where you know everything that there is to know about life, realize that you know nothing at all.
- Do not argue with anyone. Let whoever think whatever, stay silent, stay humble, and just keep getting better.
- The feeling of having a job is very liberating. There is nothing like being able to make and save your own money and take some of the burdens off of your mother due to your ability to financially provide for yourself.
- Do not compare yourself to the girls that you see on social media. Do not compromise yourself to gain attention.
- Putting your phone in your pocket and paying attention to your surrounding will enable you to be able to develop your own sense of self outside of the internet world. The most beautiful moments are never captured. Exist in the moment.
- You will lose people that you love. Whether they pass away or simply just move on, they will have to go. Make sure that you leave them with something genuine like the love of God. That way, should anything ever happen to them, at least you will know that you did your part in helping them to be a better individual.
- Relax yourself. Chill out.
- When things do not go your way, do not get annoyed or angry. Know that God is saving you from something that you do not need.
- Stop ignoring your intuition to follow your emotions. Mind over matter. Go for what you know over what you feel.
- Stop getting high, you’re ruining your life.
- Listen to your mom. She was right. About everything.
- You can start your life over anytime you want. Don’t worry about what people will say or the “suggestions” that they try to make concerning YOUR life. New day, new me.
- It is completely fine to be alone. You do not need the company of others or the noise of the world to feel complete. You are already complete.
- Stop trying to plan your life and create these time-frames for when you think that things should happen for you. The more you do that, the crazier you become. Just let God have his way.
- Do not give everyone the privilege of getting to know you personally. Remain a mystery, and let people admire you from afar. Once people get the present, they don’t appreciate it as much as they did when they only desired it.
- God is sufficient. He is enough. He is the key to lock and unlock every door as He sees fit. He is the key to a sane, sound, and peaceful mind. Let go of trying to control your own destiny and enjoy the ride of life.